The purpose of the Foundation is to support and promote the mission of CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, and disseminate its benefits to the wider public.
The Foundation born in 2014, operates nationally and internationally to pursue its mission, across three main areas: Education & Outreach, Innovation & Knowledge Exchange, and Culture & Creativity. Since 2018, the CERN & Society Foundation also supports and promotes the operation of the Globe of Science and Innovation, notably through its use as a venue for scientific exhibitions, conferences, meetings and public debates.
Our main objectives are to:
- Promote public understanding of science and the various ways it affects our daily life;
- Encourage and support young people’s interest in the subjects of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, with an emphasis on physics and engineering (STEM);
- Improve people’s lives by means of innovative technologies;
- Build capacity in developing countries by providing people with scientific knowledge and tools; and
- Foster creative synergies between science and culture, stimulating inspiration and enriching the cultural landscape.
Since 2017, the Foundation Board has decided to focus its efforts on projects targeting Youth & Education.
The Foundation does not accept unsolicited grant proposals.